Nuffnang Ads

06 July 2012

My wish to be an Author and Nuffnang Blogopolis 2012

When I was a student, I used to admire those students whose articles were chosen and published in school’s year end book. I felt envy for their articles and names been printed on books and read by the entire school.

I can’t remember how old I was then but I did attempt to write a "sajak" ie Malay poem about my love for my mother and sent in the poem to the school's editor board. Finally, when I received my school year end book in my hand, I quickly flipped through the entire book, searching and wondering if my poem was chosen.

I found it! It was chosen and published in the school book. I was so, so happy and felt the satisfaction and achievement in me. I wish I still have the poem or school book with me now.

Then, I dreamed bigger. I wish to be an author, to have my own book … one day.

Hubby and I had a meeting with a company that coaches inspiring authors to publish books. I shared with him my interests, my background and so call expertise, etc. The person shared with us the book publishing procedures, costs, risks, rewards, etc of being an author and to publish a book. We were not ready to commit on the sum to engage the company as my coach. So, the idea of being an author was shelved.

A few years later, when I was doing financial planning, the owner of the firm had always wanted to publish his own books too. He wrote articles for major newspapers and had the draft version of his book done but never got into publishing it. When he knew that my dream was to be an author, he approached me and asked if I was interested to help him in putting his draft book into printed copy.
Co-ordinate advance praises for the book
I accepted the offer as it gave me the practical experience in publishing a book, work with editor to proof read the book, work on the book’s printed font and layout, getting advance praises for the book, organize event for the launching of book at Eastin Hotel, meeting MPH, Popular, etc to market the book and understand the mechanism, promotions and sharing of book sales proceeds, etc. After several months of hard work and enthusiasm, finally, the book was published, launched and marketed. And, when I saw my name being acknowledged in the book, there was a great satisfaction for the achievement.

And that was it. Ever since, I have not written any book. With the emergence of online media, facebook, blogs, etc, I’ve started blogging instead, with the creation of this blog “treasure memories”. It was an attempt to realize my dream and to see how far I can grow with writing and blogging.

After almost 4 years of blogging in a small way, I wanted to equip and update myself with the knowledge of blogging and take my blogging world one step further. I’ve signed up for Nuffnang Blogopolis 2012!

What Is Blogopolis?


 blog•op•o•lis (noun)

Malaysia's blogging community coming together from all corners of the country to educate, learn and foster the growth of the Malaysian blogosphere for the first time in Malaysia! Blogopolis is a conference put on for bloggers, by bloggers. Blogopolis is a day-long event covering nine different blogging master-classes suitable for bloggers both big and small. Through these master-classes, we aim to engage and educate Malaysian bloggers by furthering their blogging skill set and knowledge. You will also have the opportunity to meet and hear from some of the biggest and most influential names in the Malaysian blogosphere!


Today, I have this sent by courier to me.




















My friend, Wendy is coming with me. She’s not a blogger … yet but she would like to know and learn more about blogging as she's in marketing line and social media is the latest trend in public relations. I am extremely excited. 5 more days to go!

No comments: