Nuffnang Ads

08 March 2009

Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese frosting

Received sms from Charissa yesterday night. Her daughter, Tracy asked if she may come over to our house to play with Jared.
I woke up early this morning and decided to make cupcake. I couldn't make cheesecake as cheesecake needs to be chilled for at least 6 hours. I remembered from the "Get Cheesy" baking workshop, Catherine Lau mentioned that the recipe for the Red Velvet cheesecake can be made into cupcake by just adding additional one egg.


Nina and I baked the cupcake in the early morning. The recipe could make 40 kiddy size cupcakes. When the cupcakes were baked, they were nicely raised to dome shape. As it cooled, it shrank. We had asked this question before and a celebrity chef told us that usually this happen when we use convention microwave to bake. Surprisingly, when we put two cup papers to the tray, the cupcake did not shrink and remain in nice dome shape. Hubby said this is due to the ventilation as the cupcakes cool down.


For the frosting, I browsed through internet while waiting for the cupcake to cool. There were lots of recipe and video in the internet. I chose the following recipe.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
  1. 115 gram of butter
  2. 250 gram of cream cheese at room temperature
  3. 200 gram of powder/icing sugar - to be shifted
  4. 0.5 teaspoon of vanilla extract/essence
Beat the butter. Then, add in cream cheese on medium speed until light and creamy. Add sugar on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase to high speed and mix until very light and fluffy.


I am not good in cake decoration. This is the best that I can do.
I gave the above 9 cupcakes for my sister and they loved them.




My auntie commented that the cupcake is very tasty, soft and moist. Nicer than the chocolate Mickey Mouse cupcakes that I ordered for Jaden's birthday.


Tracy liked the cupcakes too. Look at Tracy enjoying the 2nd cupcake.


The original red velvet cheese cake uses whipping cream and make impressive 25 cm cake. Whereas for cupcake, it doesn't use whipping cream for the frosting. Cupcake is a very convenient and presentable for a few, smaller quantity give away.

2 comments:

Chai KK said...

For those who do not believe what Saw Leng claimed, let me tell you the cup cake is really-really tasty. The only problem was that she gave us too little, and we just can't wait to have another cup cake for tea soon.


CKK

Unknown said...

Christina says...

Not bad at all for the first try, my friend. Your cream cheese frosting on the cup cake at least has a twirl....better than mine which is flat..haha! Well Done!