Nuffnang Ads

19 November 2008

My first ACCA exam

I reserved all my 1st year annual leave entitlement with C&L for my ACCA exam in Dec 1989. In addition to annual leave, we were granted study leave of 5 days per paper. We could choose to use up all the 5 days for the first attempt or to reserve some days of study leave in case we fail the paper at the first sitting. On top of that, we were also allowed exam leave on the exam day.

To top it up, we could claim our tuition fee and exam fee upon completion of the course level. That was quite generous of C&L, considering that we were not on any bond with the firm.

I was on paid leave for ~ a month. That was good. I could break off from work and concentrate on my study. And yet, I had my salary on month end.

During study leave, I didn't study the whole day. I studied better at night, when everybody was asleep and the house was quiet. After dinner, I watched HK series with my family. Then, I would make myself a cup of Nescafe so that I could stay awake, usually till 3am, sometime till 5am, depending on how engrossed I was. Of course, I only woke up in the late morning. I couldn't study much during day time, I chatted on the phone, had nap in the afternoon, did study planning for the day or week, etc.

After exam period, it was a very good atmosphere at work when everybody went back to work. There would be no classes for the rest of the month as new term only started in January. That was the only period that I could join my colleagues for any gathering.

After 2 months ie in Feb, ACCA would post the results docket to our house. During those few days, we would call home to see if the result docket arrived home. The most intense moment was when I tore the sealed docket to see the results.

For my first sitting of ACCA exam in Dec 1989, I passed 4 out of the 5 papers that I sat. I failed Law paper. I never like theory, reading subject. That was my weakness. Even during secondary school time, I would either fail or pass marginally the History and Geography papers.

The seniors and my boss were impressed with my results. And I thought, I did ok only. I've forgotten that I sat for ACCA professional course on part time basis, and not normal study on full time basis. That should be quite tough. After all these reasoning and those compliments from the office, my feeling changed! I was happy with my results and my confidence level towards studying ACCA on part time basis increased.

No comments: