Nuffnang Ads

16 April 2012

Scones for tea?

14 Apr 2012
I don't know why but I always associate scones with Cameron Highlands. I like the idea of sitting by cafe in tea plantation, under cool weather and have scones with a cup of good English tea.

I've tried baking scones several time. It is something very easy to bake. The other funny thing is a few of my friends will think of scones when they see me. Serena asked "When are we going to your house for scones?". Verna said "I miss your scones".

Last Saturday, I felt like baking scones for tea. Hubby likes to google recipes from Allrecipes.com and that virus has spread to me. I've tried this World's Best Scones from allrecipes.com and my friends like them.

Christina wanted to learn scones from me and asked me to wait for her. Unfortunately, it was a massive jam around Kelana Jaya area and she couldn't make it in between her son's English speech class.
I made 8 scones from the recipe and had them for tea. Hubby ate 2 and I packed 3 scones for Christina as we met up for dinner the same day. Father dropped by my house the same evening and I gave 2 scones to my Father. He must have smelled the scones from wherever he was. Moch ate the final scone and I didn't have any! Only managed to have a bite from Hubby's one.

I am happy when my cakes, cookies, scones, etc disappear fast. I will surely bake them again ... very soon.

I am sharing here the recipe from Allrecipes.com as sharing makes me happy.
Ingredients:
220 g (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
15 g (4 tsp) baking powder
50 g (1/4 cup) white sugar
0.8 g (1/8 tsp) salt
70 g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter
70 g (1/2 cup) dried currants or raisins

120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
60 g (1/4 cup) sour cream
1 egg
15 ml (1 tbsp) milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
  3. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rubbing between your fingers until it is in pea sized lumps. Stir in the currants.
  4. Mix together 1/2 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup.
  5. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients and stir gently until well blended. Do not overwork the dough as it will result in terrible scones.
  6. With floured hands, pat scone dough into balls 2 to 3 inches across, depending on what size you want. Place onto a greased baking sheet, and flatten lightly. Let the scones barely touch each other.
  7. Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of milk.
  8. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
  9. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown, not deep brown.
  10. Serve the scones warm with butter, cream and jam.
You can make varieties of scones by replacing raisins with strawberry or any types of berries or even have it plain without any raisin or berries.

No comments: