Nuffnang Ads

14 February 2011

Red Velvet Cheesecake, my first cake business on Valentine's Day

14 Feb 2011
It is Valentine's Day. I baked a cake, not for my Hubby but for my very first cake order that I get paid for. This is a milestone achievement for me!
I made Pavlova and Red Velvet Cheesecake for Hubby's last birthday in August 2010. I invited Audrey and family over for tea but they were too busy with their house moving. The following day, Hubby and I decided to bring some slices of Red Velvet Cheesecake to their house instead as we would love to peep into their new house. A few days later, Audrey told me they love my Red Velvet Cheesecake.
Two weeks later, she ordered the same cake from me for her party at their new house and wanted to pay for it. Audrey has been a good friend of us, especially during the period that we were in between maid ... she cooked for us and took care of our kids when we needed help!
I was happy to receive my very first "official" cake order and gladly made the cake for her. I made it for her complimentary as appreciation for her help during the period that we needed help the most. Baking is suppose to be a good stress reliever but not for this particular one, it was stressful. What if the cake does not turn out well? What if the taste is not as nice? Audrey will not have cake for her party then ....
At almost midnight, Audrey sent me a sms after her party ... the cake was a hit. Her guests love it! Knowing the positive respond was a BIG relief for me and boost my confidence.
A few days ago, Audrey sent me another sms. This time round the sms "I got u accidentally involved in a cake business". Her friend asked if I can make the same Red Velvet Cheesecake for her daughter's birthday. This friend of Audrey has tasted my cake during Audrey's party. I was very happy to know that people remember my cake. Despite Tuesday being a public holiday, I have friends coming to our house for lunch and tea and I will be too tired to bake cake thereafter. I told Hubby about it and he supported the idea, not for the money, but for the baking passion that I have and bake for those who know how to appreciate them. Hubby also advised me to take the first step which may bring many other steps.
I baked the Red Velvet Cheesecake a day earlier, on Monday instead as I am not working. I took a day off to rest after our trip to Kluang over the weekend. I also need to prepare for CNY lunch and tea gatherings at our house the following day.
I learnt to bake this Red Velvet Cheesecake from Catherine Lau. I must thank Christina for inviting me to attend the Cheesecake workshop at Signature Kitchen organised by Flavours. The cake is made from buttermilk, beetroot juice (which is a healthy fruit and give the red colour to the cake), cocoa powder, vegetable oil, cream cheese, whipping cream, etc.

For the record to treasure the memories ... the perceived value by Audrey for the Red Velvet Cheesecake is RM110. Keep the fingers cross. I hope they will still like the cake as much.

1 comment:

Roshan Jha said...

It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Fantastic read. You can also read similar blog: Customized gifts