Nuffnang Ads

17 August 2011

Cake Pop - 2nd Attempt

14 Aug 11

I've tried cake pop once and it was not a successful one. I was disappointed. I admire those cake pops by Bakerella. Her cake pops are so cute, in so many designs, shapes and colours. It looks simple too.

After browsing through website and Bakerella's posts on cake pop, I am determine to try it again ... one day. 

The one day came faster than I expected when 2/3 of my mocha cupcakes did not turn out nice. Rather than throwing them away, which is very wasteful as those cupcakes actually taste very nice, I decided to make cake pops out of the cake crumbs.

I crumble those cupcakes into a fine crumbs form into a large bowl. If the texture is too coarse, run it through a food processor.
Then, I make cream cheese frosting from the following ingredients:
  • 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Add the cream cheese frosting into cake crumbs and blend together using the back of a large spoon until well combined.

Roll mixture into 1.25″ – 1.5″ size balls and lay on baking sheet. Luckily, I have my maid to help me out and she actually did a better job than me.

Prepare chocolate for dipping. I used this dark chocolate buttons and melt them using the double boiler method.

Dip the tip of lollipop stick in a little of the melted chocolate coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)

Cover with aluminum foil or cling wrap and chill in refrigerator for several hours to firm up or place in freezer for about 15 minutes or leave them covered in the refrigerator overnight if the dipping is to be done on the following day.

Once firm, carefully insert cake ball into the chocolate coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered, remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.

Place in a styrofoam block (preferably), or mug to dry.

I wrap each of the cake pop with a small plastic and tie them up.

Honestly, making these cake pop require lots of work and patience. The cake ball will start melting and drop on table. The result from this 2nd attempt is better than the first one. I am more prepare and have done quite a bit of reading from Bakerella's blog.

Brought a few cake pops to office for my colleagues. Wendy said its yummillicious and I brought two more for her the following day for her to share with her 2 sons.

No comments: